Saturday, September 10, 2011

First birthday in Uganda

Sorry I haven't written in awhile! August was a busy month. Had trainings and a conference for Peace Corps. It was great seeing everyone, but I was definitely on the go.

Completion of the first term was a success--yay! Just started up yet another term this past Monday. Feels like I never left. I love walking into a classroom and seeing my students' faces light up as they ask me how my holiday was. I honestly don't know how I am going to leave them in just a year and a half now--why is time flying?! Gross.

Soooo today is my 24th birthday. It's crazy to think that when I am headed home I will be going on 26. Weird! Woke up this morning to a few nice texts from friends here and received a surprise call from my mom. After, I enjoyed my daily cups (yes cups) of coffee while responding to some over-due letters. Like I said, I've been on the go. Totally relaxing morning, other than the fact that "the Zaabu" was demanding my attention.

I made it into town and treated myself to pumpkin bread, a banana mocha muffin, and a turkish coffee. Too good! Honestly, the greatest things ever...almost. Then had a girlie day of hitting up the market--I found some super cute clothes for amazingly cheap! Well, with my meager salary I need to be careful, but by American standards, dirt cheap. Thennnn I headed to my friend Mary's (where I am now) for a sleepover.

I feel that now that I am used to Uganda and what it has to offer, I am not as surprised by daily occurrences. I guess the other night I had a bat flying around my house and I didn't think twice about it--I still don't know what happened to it in the end. The Zaabu tortured it for awhile but I'm just telling myself it flew outside at some point. Hmmm... I hope that's the case. Also fighting a mouse infestation after being gone for most of August. They got into my bananas!! How rude! Annnd I killed a few cockroaches this morning. Meh, it happens. I'm not too concerned. I love my house and village and situation, so a few pests won't get me down. I just have to show them whose boss! The Zaabu will help of course :)

Also, my borehole is about a kilometer away and I always pay someone to fetch me water. It is 200 shillings per jerrycan (20 liters), which is doable. However, the other day I was fed up with being water-dependent and decided that I would get my own water. I rounded up the troops (the neighborhood children) to escort me to the borehole. There were about 10 of us. All the kids had either 5 liter or 10 liter jerrycans. Soooo here I am with my 20 liter (45lb) jerrycan. Carrying 45lbs of water, sloshing around in an awkward container is not easy!!! Buuuut I was determined and I did it. Probably the proudest moment of my life. Pathetic, I know. It took me about 45 minutes to carry my water that distance. Annnnd I walked through a lot of cow poop and mud along the way. Arrived home dripping with sweat, browned feet, and 20 liters of water. And now two days later I feel every muscle in my body screaming at me--I love it! Can't wait to do it again :)

More coming soon! I just have to say that I'm very happy and grateful to be celebrating my 24th birthday in Uganda. At my 23rd birthday I never saw it coming. Couldn't wish to be anywhere else.

No comments:

Post a Comment