Alas, it has been a busy few weeks here in Uganda.
I had been looking for a kitten for some time, when out of the blue, a volunteer in the west sent out a mass-email saying she had three kittens to find homes for. Ah! I have never replied to an email faster! Well, as fast as my measly internet could go. She also replied in a hurry saying there was one waiting for me. I’d like to say it was a special journey home with my new kitten, but as you can probably imagine, bringing a kitten in a basket on public transportation for many hours in Uganda is not easy. Ugh, what a nightmare. BUT on June 25th, Zaabu arrived home safely. And so my family has grown…a hen named Sanyu (meaning “happiness”) and a kitten named Zaabu (meaning “gold”).
| she's usually inside my shoe |
Yes, I have a two-month-old kitten terrorizing my house as we speak. Climbing up and down my mosquito net like an acrobat, hanging from my curtains like a desperate rock-climber, and trying to escape out the door/windows like a teenager under house arrest. But, I love her :) She’s grey with leopard-like spots and blue eyes. She’ll remain an indoor cat until she’s old enough to defend herself in the African-wild—maybe another month or two.
| her first bed--now she's "big" enough to jump into mine |
For now, she will continue getting milk (I get a mug delivered fresh from my neighbor’s cow every evening. Sometimes it’s still warm!), avocado, eggs, small fish (mukene), some scraps, and to my surprise she LOVES pancakes. I think this is a good time to share that I have newly discovered that I make the best pancakes in the entire world. Who would’a thunk?! Now, I know it’s not the best diet for a kitten, but I’m not about to go find "Friskees" and all of those other fancy-brand-foods here in Uganda. Don’t worry; I’ll get some meat from the slaughtered goat hanging in the wooden hut down the road sometime soon. I’m just not ready to make that step yet since a cow’s head was sitting out in front of the hut last time I passed. Have I mentioned I’ve remained a vegetarian here in Uganda?
Also, about the milk from my neighbor, I boil it to make it last for a full day. Come on guys, you know I don’t have refrigeration here... a day of milk is really good! I have been enjoying some hot cocoa at night and sometimes enjoy cheese the next day when I wake up to find that the milk has separated itself into curds and whey! Delicious! I am now experimenting with yogurt. I woke up this morning to find the “yogurt” sub-satisfying. Maybe with a few more hours the bacteria will get to work and produce my beloved yogurt—Ugandan style. One can only hope…
Now, last Saturday was the Inter-House Music, Dance, and Drama Competition (MDD). I don’t think anyone’s attention span is long enough to withstand the VOLUMES I could write about it. My school of just over a thousand students (remember, 800 of them are mine) is split-up into four houses: Kamira, Kyabazinga, Kiza, and Kitimbo. Now that I’m reading Harry Potter, I see them as being Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw. Anyway, these houses have been competing all term for points (again, like Harry Potter) through cross-country, track and field, and most-recently volleyball. However, the MDD competition was the most significant event of all. All day, from 8am to 9pm, these students were putting their best forward. There were five categories: African solo, Original Composition, Drama, Traditional Folk Composition, and Dance.
Can I just say that I have never smiled and laughed as much as I did that day, which says a lot if you know me well! The students maintained an elevated level of energy all day, even though many were without food and water. The smiles never faded, the voices never faltered, and the hips were never fatigued. If you can imagine traditional African drumming, singing and dancing, this was it; ever-colorful and soul-strengthening. Something deep-down and innate within me came alive that day. Pictures and (hopefully) videos coming soon!
| some of my students performing a traditional Basoga dance |
Not to be over-looked, there was also Visitation Day and Leaver’s Day party over the past couple of weeks. I met some of my students’ parents and siblings during visitation, which was really nice. The parents were evidently briefed on my presence ahead of time, and my students were glowing as I greeted their parents in their native-tongue; another one of my countless, happiest moments here in Uganda. The Leaver’s Day party was for Senior 4 and Senior 6 students. They are considered “candidate” students because after they pass their corresponding National Exams next term, they are officially graduated from “O” Level and “A” Level Secondary School, respectively. The school hosts the party this term because next term the students are too busy preparing for the exams. It was great to see my students out of their uniforms and in their self-expressive state for the first time. Many photos were taken!
In addition to all of these big events in my life, everyday-life is also treating me well. The days pass too quickly, but always filled with happiness. I couldn’t ask to be in a better place at a better time.
Lisa,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Elaine and I work at Mohawk Ltd. I have been here for 13-yrs and your father was my first teacher on the job.
I just want to say how much I enjoy reading about your adventure. How interesting you make it telling about the culture and their way of life.
I'll being looking for your next post.