It feels like somebody big (and probably hairy) is pushing me from behind, while my heels are firmly planted as I hopelessly till the ground. I dread the day I am on a plane flying home. Now I know most of you reading this are family and friends, waiting for my safe return home and probably feel the exact opposite, which is great! That’s how it’s supposed to be, right? But I think having a bunch of friends finish their two-year-stints recently has made me imagine myself in that exact same position and to be frank, it terrifies me.
Like always, I’ve been spending a lot of time with “my family” who stays behind my place, down a path a little way. There are five girls and a boy, all in primary school, and many other village kids hang out there too. Their mother is amazing, and although she doesn’t speak a lick of English, we find a way of communicating somehow. So, as usual, this past week I went down to fetch water and on my return home I stopped by to play with the kids for a couple hours. We spent awhile playing hand-clap games (that I’m determined to learn) and then all the kids started jumping and dancing around. They got me to participate in one of those games, which was actually quite fun but tiring! There is no power around there so we play by candle light; as always, I forget everything outside of our small ring of illumination. They always insist on feeding me, so after playing we all piled into their tiny, outside kitchen for dinner. They cook with firewood within three rocks in the shape of a triangle, so inside the kitchen it’s smoky as the firewood turns to ash. The eight of us spent the next hour just eating and laughing, mostly at my expense, which is great. I have been here for over a year, yet I continue to make little faux-pas (like putting inedible food into my mouth like a child).
My happiest times in Uganda are when I am there with this family of mine. All of the difficulties here are overshadowed by my love and happiness in my village. I am sinking my roots deeper and deeper into Uganda, which is going to make it nearly impossible to uproot myself again to head home in less than a year.
A few photos to keep you all interested! More coming soon:
 |
| Esther, Brenda, Maria, and Mukisa dancing outside my backdoor |
 |
| Ali climbing my papaya tree |
 |
| Nail painting party! |
No comments:
Post a Comment