Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Would you like an earthquake with your coffee?

While enjoying my morning cup of coffee around 6:30am by lamplight I began shaking and swaying in my chair while listening to the house rumble around me. My first instinct was earthquake (!) but then I thought more "rationally" and asked my sister, Rebecca, if it was just the wind. She just laughed at me and said, "No, earthquake." So non-nonchalantly. (?!) I asked her if we were safe and she again just laughed at me and said, "yes." And that was that.

After my parents woke up, I asked them if they felt the tremors. They had and told me that it hasn't happened for a decade. Woah! It wasn't until evening radio-news that I heard it was a 5.0 on the USGS Richter scale. What a great way to start the day. I calmly finished breakfast with ginger-spiked porrage and pineapple. Yum.

Then off to the day's next big adventure. The matatu. A minibus taxi. Off my group of six rode, cramped into the back of the matatu on our way to Entebbe--the secondary school we are teaching at.  Oh, did I forget the rainy season began today? Yeah. Three weeks late, but back with a vengeance. It rained. And rained. And rained. And continued to rain some more. Not just rain rain, but RAIN RAIN. It was awesome! Ahh, finally a cool, dust-free day.

Finished off the day with language lessons and more PC training. Came home to my amazing family and enjoyed evening tea accompanied by delicious jackfruit. Wrote a letter, had dinner, and now here I am.

All-in-all, one of my favorite days here.

3 comments:

  1. Earthquake! Glad to hear you're fine. :-) Were you close to the epicenter? And sounds like you're having fun, with not just rain rain, but RAIN RAIN. Haha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. In CR we have too much earthquakes but most people is scare about that all the time!!!! It's amazing to reed how people can laugh while an erathquake is happening!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet! As I told you, you're on the Great African Rift. Lucky of you!

    ReplyDelete