Saturday, March 26, 2011

Language Immersion Week

There are 54 recognized languages within Uganda. The Peace Corps sends volunteers to 9 different language regions. It's pretty incredible that our group of 44 is learning 9 different languages! The most for any PC country. Anyway, this past week was "Language Immersion" week. We were all separated into our language groups and headed out to the various regions that speak our language.

I am learning Lusoga with 5 other PCVs, so we headed to the Basoga region to Namutumba.  It was such an awesome experience! We stayed with a volunteer who has been here for 2 years, which was perfect because we were able to grill her with questions about the region, language, market, transportation, her job, and so on. Everyone in the town, and especially the market, was super friendly! I feel so much more confident greeting people and asking for food/transportation. Pretty essential!

We spent a day in Iganga with another PCV who showed us all the important places there. I love Iganga! Definitely a "Goldy-Locks" type of town for me. Not too big, not too small. I can get anything I want there without feeling too crazy-crowed and congested.

We also spent some time in Jinga, which I think is the second largest city in Uganda under Kampala, the capital. That is where the source of the Nile is! It was such a beautiful day so Lake Victoria and the Nile looked gorgeous. I can't believe in just 3 months, the water I saw will be dumping into the Mediterranean! It has to make its way through Sudan and Egypt first though. Too too neat!

Time is going fast for me here. I feel like I've been here forever, yet I feel like time is flying by. I am definitely getting used to my life here and it is slowly but surely becoming the norm. Less and less, I compare what I am doing here to what I would be doing if I were home. I will be moving to my permanent site in less than a month. I can't wait to find out where and everything that goes along with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment