Please bare with me as I get accustomed to this whole blogging thing. I've spent too much time figuring out the layout and design and not enough time actually blogging.
I am anxiously awaiting my departure to Uganda February 9th. It feels like just yesterday that I received my invitation in the mail. Talk about adrenaline rush!
One day back in October I was welcomed home with a hefty package from the Peace Corps. In all that madness of an invitation-kit, all I needed was that one line-- Location: Uganda. I believe my exact reaction was, "Holy Cow!." My heart raced as I sped through nearly all of the material, which literally took all night. I'm not kidding, the PC hits us volunteers hard with information. All necessary though!
So began the process of reminding myself, daily, that I'm actually doing this! I could not be more excited. I attempt to create a mental image of life for Lisa in Uganda but it's nearly impossible with all of the unknowns. All I can do is prepare the best I can based on the info from the PC. For instance, I'm currently learning Lugandan. Just trying to regurgitate the oratory lessons provided seems impossible. Wait, am I really going to be speaking Lugandan after 3 months of training in Uganda? See, I need to keep reminding myself that this is actually happening! I can't wait to just be there and get a better understanding of what life in Uganda will be like for me.
In the meantime, I am visiting with family and friends and exploring the states as much as possible. I spent half of November on a road-trip traveling across country getting a taste of the motherland before I venture out again. The more I know about home, the better bridge I'll become between it and Uganda.
I'm also trying to gather all the random items I've been told will come in handy during service. Most of my Christmas wishlist has been checked off, which is a huge relief. I'll spend January gathering the rest. I'm also getting my fill of my favorite foods that I might not get my hands on often in Uganda. Including my favorite food of all time--yogurt! Stonyfield plain yogurt--regular or oikos--yum! I feel like I'm preparing for a 2-year hibernation--2 years without my daily dose of yogurt! With that considered, I hope I can sustain my vegetarian diet after cutting out most dairy. I'll also miss the lunch buffet at the Indian Restaurant in town. Tear. Oh-well, I'll survive. I know what my first meal home will be! Cooking is one of my favorite hobbies so I plan on meshing my favorite Indian dishes with traditional Ugandan cuisine. mmmmm
I think that does it for now--
Not bad for a beginner. I spoke to someone recently who also was an African PCV and she said communicating shouldn't be a problem. She said there are internet cafes everywhere and she said cell phone towers are put up easily if there isn't one. She said the first thing they did when they arrived was go to the store and buy a cell phone. I hope that is the case for you. Looking forward to a great experience for you to share with all of us on this blog...Mom
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to this adventure through you. Your blog is good don't let anyone say differently. I was as excited for you as you sounded. Love you Jonette
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited to see another Ugandan blog :D I'll be going with you in February, though I just found out on Friday! It has been insane trying to get all the paperwork done while realizing that I only have six weeks to get my sh*t together! I can't wait to meet you! Also? SO jealous that you've had time to practice Lugandan :)
ReplyDelete